Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Under Rated Candy Bars

When it comes to chocolate candy, there are certain names that we automatically think of: Hershey Chocolate bars, Milky Way, Snickers, M&Ms... But what about the ones we don't normally think of? What about those strange candy bars that are tucked away behind the Hershey bars in the Walmart checkout line? The ones that have been sitting there so long they have a light coat of dust on the wrapper. Is it because they taste bad? Are their wrappers uninviting? Or is just that we as a society are so set in our ways of grabbing the most popular candy that we often overlook these hidden treasures? I say it is the latter! And so, I have compiled this list of Top 5 Under Rated Candy Bars. Enjoy!

Number 5 - The York Peppermint Patty

I understand that some people just don't like the taste of peppermint, and that may explain why this candy is not as popular as the power hitters, but more often then not, when I ask people about the this little peppermint treat, they have no idea what I'm talking about! I personally think the York Peppermint Patty is one of the more original candies out there, a perfect balance of simple flavors that work together harmoniously to create a delightful taste experience.

Number 4 - Mr. Goodbar

Here is a candy bar that you have about a 50% chance of seeing in your standard super market or other popular canby bar wrack. I don't know why, because it is one of the most delightful and subtle mixes of chocolate and peanuts I have ever tasted in a candy bar. The texture is not rough like the Nutrageous bar, and the flavor is not dominated by either the chocolate or the peanuts. Most people will say that Reeses candies are better when it comes to the chocolate/peanut flavor combo, but I say that is like comparing an apple to an orange. The Mr. Goodbar is a perfect balance of peanuts and chocolate and should be more widely appreciated than it is.

Number 3 - 100 Grand

This is the Crunch bar done right. It has the same crunchy texture from the crisped rice, but accentuated by a balanced mixture of chocolate and caramel. It has a rich flavor that isn't bland but not too overwhelming. Unfortunately, this is another candy bar you are likley to find missing at most candy stands. I'm starting to think the Hershey bar, Snickers, and Reeses are the Elitist Jerks of the candy bar world.

Number 2 - The Skor Bar

This and my Number 1 pick are getting into the realm of candy bars that are more misunderstood than geniunly disliked. When you first see a Skor bar, its not immediately apparent what you are getting yourself into. The shape and texture may put you off at first, but if you go the extra step and actually partake, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Its butter toffee surrounded in milk chocolate is unique, set appart from the traditional chocolate bars like Hershey and Snickers. It offers a taste experience that will cure any bordeom you may have developed with chocolate bars.

Number 1 - The Whatchamacallit

This is one of those candy bars that you will almost never see at the checkout line. When last we found one, it was behind the Reeses candby box, there was only one left, and it was covered in dust. After confirming that it had not in fact expired, we discovered a flavor medly not found in any other candy bar. It has everything you could want! Peanut crisp, covered in a layer of caramel and dipped in milk chocolate. I know this sounds a lot like some other candy bars, but this one just does it right. And how can you not love a candy bar called a Whatchamacallit?! Apparently a lot of people can, and that is why it is my Number 1 Under Rated candy bar.

I hope that this list will serve to bring these candy bar masterpieces back to glory, if only to the few people who will read this, because they deserve every bit of love they can get.

3 comments:

  1. Whatchamacallits are pretty good. I absolutely love 100 Grand bars. Skor bars can suck it, they are a rip off of heath bars. I am currently eating Starburst Jelly Beans so I am getting a kick out of this post.

    I have never really been a fan of Mr. Goodbar either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Starburst jelly beans would make this post a little more enjoyable, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've encountered all five of these, tasted four of them, adored three, and abhorred one. Mr. Goodbar I've never had because the last time I ran into one, I still hated nuts. (It's been a few years. I'd probably like them now.) York Peppermint Patties I kind of hated.

    Scratch that. I REALLY hate them. Which is odd, because I usually like peppermint.

    Skor bars are pretty good. But 100 Grand and Whatchamacallit would make my Top Five Candy Bars of All Time list.

    ReplyDelete